17. (Tie) Madison, Connecticut | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
Where to Stay in Madison, Connecticut:
The Inn at Lafayette
Smack in the middle of town, The Inn at Lafayette has a hint of European inspiration, with its French doors and pale, pretty room. If you get hungry, Café Allegre is serving up delicious, Italian-style meals downstairs.
Where to Eat in Madison, Connecticut:
Gourmet French cuisine is the fare of this hard-to-get-into restaurant, where food, style and presentation are all top notch. Small and busy, it can sometimes be loud, but you won’t care so much once you’ve tasted the food.
Great Attraction in Madison, Connecticut:
Hammonasset Beach State Park
With camping spots, nature trails, more than two miles of sandy shoreline, and rustic picnic sites, Hammonasset is an easy place to spend time. At the far end of the park is a nature center stocked with turtles, mice, and snakes, including an enormous boa whose name morphed from Thor to Thoretta once certain discoveries were made. Friday snake feedings often attract a standing-room-only crowd.
R.J. Julia Independent Booksellers
If your timing is good, you may catch one of the country’s top authors reading from their latest works.
More information: madisonct.com
More Like This
- 21. Brewster, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 20. Hull, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 19. Hampton Beach, New Hampshire | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Plymouth, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Little Compton, Rhode Island | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging