4. Newport, Rhode Island | Best Attractions, Dining, and Lodging
Here are Yankee Magazine‘s picks for the best places to stay, eat, and see for Newport, Rhode Island, ranked #4 Beach Town in New England.
Where to Stay in Newport, Rhode Island:
Rose Island Lighthouse
For a charitable donation that’s far less than a beach-house rental, you can be the lighthouse keeper for a week. If idling is more your speed, rent a guest room in this circa-1912 museum.
Where to Eat in Newport, Rhode Island:
Tallulah on Thames
With a menu that changes seasonally as local ingredients become available, Tallulah’s is always changing. Some things remain delightfully consistent however, such as the outstanding clam chowder, made with littlenecks in the shell, bacon, and cream poured tableside.
Great Attraction in Newport, Rhode Island:
Newport History Tours
Not your father’s dusty G-rated tour: Hear stories of the city’s former distilleries and rum runners in “Rum and Revolution,” or visit where privateers profited in “Pirates and Scoundrels.”
Tennis Hall of Fame.
If you love tennis, you can’t miss touring the museum, or catching a tournament here.
Surf pounding against rocks on one side, mansions on the other. A breathtaking outing. But be prepared for some rough spots.
Located on Spring Street and owned by a Rhode Island School of Design–trained jewelry artist, Alloy, widely viewed as one of the state’s finest galleries, displays contemporary wares created by the owner and her peers.
More information: www.gonewport.com
More Like This
- 21. Brewster, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 20. Hull, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 19. Hampton Beach, New Hampshire | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Plymouth, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Little Compton, Rhode Island | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging