5. Old Harbor, Block Island | Best Attractions, Dining, and Lodging
Here are Yankee Magazine‘s picks for the best places to stay, eat, and see for Old Harbor, Rhode Island, ranked #5 Beach Town in New England.
Where to Stay in Old Harbor, Block Island:
The Sea Breeze
A short walk from Old Harbor, this sun-bleached shingled inn with private cottages overlooks wildflower meadows, perennial gardens, and a pond. Borrow the kayak to explore the salt pond and a hammock for siestas. With breakfast goodies delivered to your room each morning, there’s more time for a morning nap.
Where to Eat in Old Harbor, Block Island:
Awaiting homemade pasta staples and creative pairings (like ahi-tuna nachos), a line snakes outside this no-reservations clapboard cottage; a special vegetarian menu is also available. Its walls are splashed with art by locals who moved here for the island’s ethereal light.
Great Attraction in Old Harbor, Block Island:
Block IslandParasail and Watersports
Take a turn at parasailing to get a bird’s eye view of the island. More than 40,000 people have flown with Block Island Parasail over the last two decades. Reservations must be made on the day of sailing.
A National Historic Landmark, the lighthouse has stood atop Moheagn Bluffs since the 1870s. www.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/blockisl.htm
Several miles of packed sand, views for forever.
A patch of grass lines a redbrick lighthouse that has been keeping watch on the southeast corner of Block Island for more than a century and a quarter. Below, sea-gouged clay cliffs plummet some 200 feet to a white crescent beach that serves as a welcome mat for the Atlantic surf. To stand on this wild stretch of coastline below Mohegan Bluffs is to truly feel inconsequential.
More information: : www.blockislandinfo.com
More Like This
- 21. Brewster, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 20. Hull, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 19. Hampton Beach, New Hampshire | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Plymouth, Massachusetts | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging
- 18. (Tie) Little Compton, Rhode Island | Best Attractions, Eateries, and Lodging