Return to Content

A Veteran's Sacrifice: Story of Michael Daly

A Veteran’s Sacrifice: Story of Michael Daly
1 vote, 5.00 avg. rating (89% score)

He pushed on through the hedgerows to Saint-Lo, and he had his first Silver Star by the time he reached Paris. In September, while his father was in the south of France with Patch’s Seventh Army. Michael was wounded at Aachen. He recuperated in England, and when he returned, General Patch sent for him. Patch’s only son had been killed, as had Paul Daly’s nephew. “He asked what kind of assignment I’d like. He implied I could be his aide. I said I wanted to re-join the infantry.”He joined Company A, 15th Infantry, Third Infantry Division just before Christmas during the fighting along the Colmar Pocket in eastern France. He was with battle-hardened soldiers who had fought in North Africa through Sicily, into Italy, and now through France. But they quickly learned to respect the young Second Lieutenant.

“We were having a terrible time,” recalls Burton Barr (today Majority Leader of the Arizona House of Representatives), who served as Michael’s assistant battalion commander, “but here was this gangly guy, always where you could see him, not hiding his height, an easy target, as though he believed wherever he stood would protect him. He never told you about himself, but you wanted to follow him. He was a truly brave man.”

Meanwhile Paul Daly was commanding the 198th Infantry of the 100th Division when a mortar caught him near Biche. He came home in great pain, forced to sit all day on the couch, chafing that he let himself be hit. He received a letter from General Patch about Michael’s actions during the fierce Alsace-Lorraine fighting. “Under heavy fire, with many of his men hurt, he grasped victory from almost certain defeat.” By April Michael was a First Lieutenant, a company commander, with three Silver Stars.

On April 16 he entered Nuremberg where, in the impenetrable rubble that was once a great city, the SS troops were holed up. Later friends would ask him why he risked dying when he half expected the next radio message to say the war was over. They asked why he didn’t just pull back and wait. And he could not really answer except to say, “You don’t win unless you occupy. And this was a great crusade we were on.”

Burton Barr remembers: “It was early in the morning. We were told to advance. A machine gun opened up from atop a railroad embankment killing some of our men. He told us, he ordered us to take cover. He ran towards the machine gun. Bullets were kicking up all around him, but he kept firing and he killed the three men. He continued on alone, ahead of us. Six Germans were in the rubble of a house firing rockets. He stayed there and killed them too. Later, by a park a burst of fire killed our sergeant. There were three of them, and he got them. There was another fight that day, another machinegun crew. He protected us.” Reports said that Michael had killed anywhere from 15 to 22 soldiers. “I don’t remember very much of that day,” Michael says quietly. The next day he was shot in the face.

“We’d just come through a park, getting ready to attack the old city,” Barr related. “As usual, A Company was to lead the attack. He was leaning on my shoulder, talking to me. There was a crack and Mike spun around. I’ll always remember… He took a pencil out of his pocket and stuck it down his throat to keep his windpipe open, did it as calmly as can be.”

“I thought I was finished,” Michael says. “I’d seen enough face wounds. I remembered to be still. But it was like there was a pillow over my face. I knew I was suffocating.” A tracheotomy saved his life. The next morning, Nuremberg surrendered.

He was sent to a hospital in England, then came home, a Captain, to a hospital in Framingham, Massachusetts, where he learned to talk with a nerve-damaged throat. When his sister Madelaine came to see him he whispered that when he was in a tight spot he had thought of Roland.

On August 23 he received the Medal of Honor from President Truman. He came home on a Friday night in a pouring rain. Banners hanging all across town said, “Welcome Home, Captain Michael Daly.” The band played and an open roadster took him and his father to the high school auditorium where he told the cheering crowd in words perhaps few understood, “This is the swellest thing that has ever happened to me.”

Mel Allen


Mel Allen


Mel is the fifth editor of Yankee Magazine since its beginning in 1935. His career at Yankee spans more than three decades, during which he has edited and written for every section of the magazine, including home, food, and travel. In his pursuit of stories, he has raced a sled dog team, crawled into the dens of black bears, fished with the legendary Ted Williams, picked potatoes in Aroostook County, and stood beneath a battleship before it was launched. Mel teaches magazine writing at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst and is author of A Coach’s Letter to His Son. His column, “Here in New England,” is a 2012 National City and Regional Magazine Awards Finalist for the category Column.
Yankee Magazine Advertising

$10 Introductory Offer
plus, get the Tablet Edition FREE!

In this issue: Thoreau's Maine

  • Best Chowder: We Found It!
  • 5 Best Historic Home Tours
  • Spring Comes to Narragansett Bay

Subscribe Today and Save 72%

3 Responses to A Veteran’s Sacrifice: Story of Michael Daly

  1. Kelly Stocking November 10, 2012 at 9:30 am #

    What an amazing story…Thank you for sharing it with us. And, Michael Daly…thank you for your service.

  2. Mel Allen November 12, 2012 at 11:57 am #

    Thank you Kelly. Michael Daly died a few years ago, but his story lives on: courage and humility. There will be a story to look for in Yankee’s January/February 2013 issue about a remarkable Vermont National Guardsman and before I met with him I had sent him this story about Michael Daly. Everyone who has served in the military can relate to Michael Daly’s feelings of memory and comradeship.

  3. Editor 164th Infantry News December 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

    Michael’s father, Col Paul G. Daly was, for a short time, the Commander of the 164th Infantry Regiment during the last days of the Americal Division’s battles on Guadalcanal. Previously assigned as Division Intelligence Officer, Daly took command of the 164th on 1 Jan 43 and saw them through the transition to Fiji for reconstitution and refitting until he was reassigned on 15 June 43. The senior Daly then went on to command the 398th Inf Reg’t, 100th Division, in the European Theater.
    The 164th Infantry Regiment, originally North Dakota Army National Guard, was the first US Army unit to offensively engage the enemy (in either theater) when they reinforced the Marines at Guadalcanal on 13 October 1942. On the 70th Anniversary of their march into history, the 164th Infantry Association is still holding annual reunions, prints a newsmagazine 3 times a year, and published a book in 2010.
    I located this article while researching the WWII commanders of the 164th Infantry, which served until 1945.
    The research is turning into a story “The Daly’s: A Family of Courage” . Col Paul Daly was a hero, as was his son, Michael. Another son, 1st Lt T.F. Gilroy Daly served as an Army Ranger in the Korean War. Stories worth telling. Thank you for your article.

Leave a Reply

We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.

Register Sign In

©2013, Yankee Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Yankee Publishing Inc., | P.O. Box 520, Dublin, NH 03444 | (603) 563-8111