Photographs of New England's 25 Best Beach Towns

Photographs of New England’s 25 Best Beach Towns
by in Jul 2012

How do you go about choosing the twenty-five best beach towns in New England? It wasn’t easy, but we used 14 criteria, ranging from the availability of beach food to accessibility of town amenities to lodging for all budgets to rank the towns. Whether you’re looking for waves to ride, long sandy stretches or lots of family activities, there’s a beach town for you on our list.

Read more about the 25 Best Beach Towns in our July/August issue of Yankee Magazine.

A special thanks to our contributing photographers. Follow the links below to see more of their New England photography.

Suzanne DeGeorge — sdegphotography.com
Butch Lombardi — eastbayimages.com
David Stone — stoneystonephoto.com
Laura Stone — laurastonephotography.com/
J. Greg Hinson, MD — nantucketstock.com

Please Note: This information was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.

In this issue: Winter in Vermont

• Warm Up to Perfect Comfort Food
  • Keeping Timeless Crafts Alive
  • A Town That Loves Covered Bridges and Artists

6 Responses to Photographs of New England’s 25 Best Beach Towns

1. MikenJayne March 11, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

This area is where we lived for most of our lives <3

2. Joe Marrone July 26, 2014 at 8:05 am #

Someone was sleeping at the switch on this one. Dennis, MA has better beaches than most of your list.

3. Kathleen September 5, 2014 at 4:17 pm #

This is my favorite beach – Footbridge – in Ogunquit, ME.

4. Peddle Pete September 7, 2014 at 7:21 am #

Leave your bike at home when visiting Narragansett. Not bike friendly. The town is set up for cars and for parking cars in the shoulders of most of the roads. I went on vacation and could not believe there were no places for bikes to ride. Speeding and the amount of cars in the town was enough to deter me from ever going back. If you want good riding go to the cape. Just my thoughts.

5. Helen Scoggins October 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm #

I love Hampton because I worked there the summer after I graduated from high school. My son works there now. Wonderful memories

6. Mbonacello December 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm #

Grew up going to Watch Hill and Narragansett, year round. The area still holds a special place in my heart. Add Block Island to the triangle and there is no better place. I prefer it over the Cape, personally.

Still love Old Orchard Beach as well. Planning a trip there this summer, cannot wait to share it with my children and family