Budget Dining Tips While Traveling
Yankee‘s food editor Annie B. Copps has these 10 tips for travelers:
1. Bring a cooler with you and pack snacks and beverages.
2. Eat your big meal at lunch.
3. Eat seasonal foods.
4. Ask the locals (or cab drivers) for recommendations and avoid the tourist traps.
5. Get the local paper and look for:
a. food festivals (example: a chowder fest)
b. pancake breakfast fundraisers
d. early bird specials
e. senior and “under 5″ discounts
6. Eat at the grocery store (soup and salad bars).
7. Avoid the mini bar (bring your own).
8. Happy hour — They’re not just for cocktails, there is always food, too (tip well).
9. Appetizers — order 2 appetizers and a salad rather than an appetizer and entree.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.