Grill Up a Great Father's Day
Moms and kids can make Father’s Day exciting this year by making Dad some great tasting treats from the heart. Not only will it keep spending in check, the results will taste delicious and kids will have fun being part of the action.
Start by serving Dad breakfast in bed. Try a Kiwifruit Potassium Power Smoothie, an all-natural smoothie that is a meal in itself. Kids can personalize the breakfast by peeling and cutting kiwifruit into stars, hearts and other fun shapes to add to the smoothie. (Kiwifruit shapes can also top pancakes or cereal.)
Later in the day, older kids can be Dad’s helper at the grill. Try sweet and juicy fruit skewers along with Curried Turkey Sliders With Chutney — the tropical flavor of the kebabs and the tangy curry of the sliders make the perfect taste combination that will make Dad feel really special — just the thing to finish off an unforgettable Father’s Day.
Quick tips on cooking with kiwifruit
- Green kiwifruit is a natural meat tenderizer. Simply peel and mash a kiwifruit and spread it on a cut of meat. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes and then lightly scrape off the kiwifruit before cooking.
- Look for plump and smooth-skinned kiwifruit with no wrinkles, bruises or punctures. Ripe green and gold kiwifruit will keep at room temperature for a few days. Keep them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to store longer.
- To speed up the ripening process, put kiwifruit in a brown bag with an apple or banana and leave on your kitchen counter.
Fun facts about a fuzzy little fruit
- A two-piece serving of kiwifruit has twice the vitamin C of an orange, as much potassium as a banana and as much fiber as a serving of bran flakes – all for less than 100 calories and around $1.
- Green kiwifruit offers a tangy-sweet flavor, while gold is more tropical-sweet.
- No need to peel. It’s easy — just cut and scoop kiwifruit. Don’t let this fuzzy little fruit intimidate you. Kids find kiwifruit easier to eat than you might think.
- Zespri gold kiwifruit is in season through October. Zespri green kiwifruit is in season through November.
More recipes and nutritional information are available at www.zesprikiwi.com.
Kiwifruit Potassium Power Smoothie
- 1 cup vanilla soymilk, fortified (or regular milk)
- 1 cup orange juice, calcium fortified
- 2 Zespri gold or green kiwifruit, washed, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons soy protein powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Blend all ingredients in blender on high for 20 to 30 seconds or until smooth. Serve immediately.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.