A July 4th Celebration!
Start with a sassy salsa of in-season sweet, plump Northwest cherries paired with peppers, onion
and cilantro! Serve cracker-like crisps — cut from pita breads using star-shaped cookie cutters — for
Cherry Salsa With
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted
Northwest cherries, quartered
- 1/3 cup finely diced sweet red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Star Crisps
- In medium bowl, place crushed red pepper. Stir in boiling water; let
stand at least 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add cherries, bell pepper and
onion; gently stir. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve. Serve with Star Crisps.
Makes about 4 cups salsa
- 2 packages pocket pita breads (6 inch or larger)
- Olive or
- Coarsely ground salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using 2.4-inch or 3.23-inch star
cutter, press and cut shapes from pita; pull apart into two pieces. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with
oil. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and
Makes 10 to 15 crisps
Salads Make the Meal
Toss orzo, chicken and sweet cherries with red wine vinaigrette and
pack into a star-shaped pan. Chill and then turn out onto a platter for serving. Add a simple mixed green salad
topped with glazed almonds, creamy goat cheese and fresh, antioxidant-rich cherries.
A Star of a Salad
- 1 box (16 ounces) orzo
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breast or
- 1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups pitted Northwest Red or Rainier cherries, quartered
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.
We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.