A July 4th Celebration!
Start with a sassy salsa of in-season sweet, plump Northwest cherries paired with peppers, onion
and cilantro! Serve cracker-like crisps — cut from pita breads using star-shaped cookie cutters — for
Cherry Salsa With
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups pitted
Northwest cherries, quartered
- 1/3 cup finely diced sweet red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Star Crisps
- In medium bowl, place crushed red pepper. Stir in boiling water; let
stand at least 10 minutes. Stir in lime juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add cherries, bell pepper and
onion; gently stir. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve. Serve with Star Crisps.
Makes about 4 cups salsa
- 2 packages pocket pita breads (6 inch or larger)
- Olive or
- Coarsely ground salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using 2.4-inch or 3.23-inch star
cutter, press and cut shapes from pita; pull apart into two pieces. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush with
oil. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and
Makes 10 to 15 crisps
Salads Make the Meal
Toss orzo, chicken and sweet cherries with red wine vinaigrette and
pack into a star-shaped pan. Chill and then turn out onto a platter for serving. Add a simple mixed green salad
topped with glazed almonds, creamy goat cheese and fresh, antioxidant-rich cherries.
A Star of a Salad
- 1 box (16 ounces) orzo
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breast or
- 1 1/2 cups diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme
teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups pitted Northwest Red or Rainier cherries, quartered
Sign-up for Yankee Magazine's FREE enewsletter!
and get a free digital issue, plus 30% off in the Yankee Store
Comments maybe edited for length and clarity.