Planting Buddies for Your Crops
4. Use a border of onions, chives, or garlic around your garden to protect more-palatable plants from hungry rabbits.
5. Sow radishes around cucumbers to repel cucumber beetles.
6. Plant tansy among raspberries and blackberries to enhance their growth. Tansy is also reported to repel Japanese beetles—an added benefit for the berries.
7. Grow thyme with eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes.
8. Try including sage with cabbages, carrots, strawberries, and tomatoes—sage is said to enhance the growth of these crops.
9. Sow a border of aromatic French marigolds around your kitchen garden to deter a variety of insects, as well as rabbits, and also to repel nematodes in the
10. Set out pots of catnip to help protect eggplant from flea beetles. (Be careful about planting catnip in the ground in your vegetable garden, as it can spread
widely. It’ll be fine if you plant it inside a root barrier.)
Excerpt from 1,001 Old-Time Household Hints—brought to you by Skyhorse Publishing