Farm Scene Terrarium
This farm scene terrarium calls to mind the rolling hills of Vermont’s countryside.
Materials to Make a Farm Scene Terrarium
- Large open glass container
- 3/8-inch pebbles (for base drainage)
- Horticultural charcoal
- Potting soil
- Live Hypnum curvifolium (sheet moss)
- Sagina subulata (Irish moss)
- Polytrichum commune (hair moss)
- Barn and outbuilding (see “Vermont in Miniature,” top right)
- Sheep figurines (scaled in proportion to the barn)
- Miniature fencing
Instructions to Make a Farm Scene Terrarium
- Wearing gloves, lay 1 to 1-1/2 inches of pebbles into the base of the glass container.
- Add 1 tablespoon of horticultural charcoal to the bottom layer and mix it with the pebbles.
- Add a shallow layer of potting soil, mounding it up at the back to create a rolling landscape; firm lightly.
- Lay or stripe the hillsides with moss, using different varieties to designate different pastures.
- Firm the moss and water lightly.
- Add the barn atop the hill and the outbuilding in the valley.
- Place your sheep as desired.
- Add a fence.