Maine Coon Cats | Infographic

Maine Coon Cats | Infographic
Print Friendly

While Maine coon cats are not actually a cross between a raccoon and a domestic cat, it is a fascinating animal. Learn more about this furry feline.

Updated Tuesday, September 24th, 2013
CVR1_YK0516_210h

A 44% saving!

BUY NOW!

10 Responses to Maine Coon Cats | Infographic

1. Michelle Westermeyer December 20, 2014 at 5:26 pm #

I own a Maine Coon Cat. He is now 6 years old.. He had 2 sisters but they were taken and his mother was put up for adoption. She was pregnant with 3 kittens and her owners obviously didn’t want any kittens so they dropped her off on our college campus. That is how I got Bear. He doesn’t like to be held will only stand at arms length to be petted, but he sure does talk a lot. He follows me like a shadow talking the entire time. He loves snuggling up to my little female tiger kitten I got 3 months before I got him, She was 4 weeks when I took her and Bear was 6 weeks when I took him. He is 37-1/2 inches from tip of nose to tip of tail. His fur is really long and hi9s tail is so full. He would love to be outside, but I live in the city apts so he can’t go outside.

2. Donald Cox September 8, 2015 at 2:08 am #

how can you read that I can’t even read it with my glasses on

3. Dave Becker October 29, 2015 at 8:13 pm #

Had a Maine coon…………. showed up on the back porch one day, about 6-8 weeks old I’d guess. Baddest cat east of the Mississippi. Lasted 18 years til the vet screwed up and killed him by giving him worm meds before he came outta anesthesia, choked to death.

4. Jacqueline October 29, 2015 at 10:17 pm #

Have had a Maine Coon for over 12 years. Lola was a rescue, originally the family bought her from a breeder but their autistic son began to get a bit rough with her. We got her at 2 months. She is a lap cat, mannerisms more of a dog—faithful to those she trust, follows you around non stop, talative—chirps. Will lay in between doorways if we are in different rooms, loving, amazing with her paws–she hasn’t eaten with them from day one. She’s 27 from tip of tail to nose, 15lbs, and per the vet a perfect picture of health. Adores sleeping on her back and is loving and nurturing like a dog. She’s an indoor cat, but has a hunter instinct—she snuck out once and grabbed a field mouse with one flick of a paw and slit it’s throat. She didn’t toy with it. She’s not aloof and she is can’t be taught almost anything. If you love dogs but don’t have the space, get a Maine Coon.

5. Carol Chase November 6, 2015 at 5:56 pm #

My mainecoon is a one cat person. She is very lovey but can be very mean at the same time. She is the Queen of the house, just like her momma

6. Michele Roddy February 6, 2016 at 11:20 pm #

I found my cat in a ditch when she was only days old. She was lifeless and cold with her cord still attached. A lot of vet visits, a lot of trail and error in finding the milk she could handle, but a year later she is a interesting animal. Her name you ask? Princess Tigeress. She is a perfect loving cat when she wants to be and a tiger other times. She weighs in at 21lbs. She is beautiful to look at, has a awesome coat, and I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

7. Ken Keaton April 11, 2016 at 12:19 pm #

Our yard sale cat.. he showed up in our yard six years ago during a yard sale.. hasn’t left yet.. I think we will keep him as long as he wants us. He has bonded with and my wife is upset about that. He loves to play and when he wants something he comes to me. He is also a lap cat that loves to be brushed and combed.

8. Diane Crawley April 11, 2016 at 5:12 pm #

I have had two Maine coon mixes. (not pure bred) The first one was given to us as a kitten because she didn’t like having to deal with the long fur. I had never heard of the breed, I just thought he was beautiful. We had him for 12 years. Very smart. Didn’t like lap sitting, but sat next to me every evening. He was brutally killed by a pack of wild dogs. We went on to adopt one from the local humane society. He was about a year old when we adopted him, and loves laying on my lap, sleeping next to me and generally my shadow. Also very smart. I am so fortunate to have had both of these cats. Teddy is now four and travels with us.

9. Ladydi April 12, 2016 at 6:32 am #

Have an adorable black and white tuxedo Maine Coon mail – named Tux! I believe he was the cutest kitten I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen a lot of cute kittens. He is very smart and understands EVERTHING I tell him. He is very sociable and loves to be wherever I am. To show affection, he bumps heads with me – and hard, I might say! He weighs about 17 pounds and is about 10 years old. Still very playful, but very cautious before jumping up on a high shelf – I guess because of his size – he really calculates the jump! I tell him “you have to stay forever young” because I do not know what I would do without him. Love my Tux!

10. Jeff Bousquet April 22, 2016 at 3:21 pm #

In 1998, we lived on the island of Dutch Harbor, Alaska where I worked as an aircraft mechanic. One day the Grumman Goose flew in from Nicholski, which is the next island to the west. The pilot brought in a box that a native had given him to bring to the pound. Long story short, we’ve had Goose as we named her ever since. She’s about 18 years old now and slowing down, has gotten to be more of a lap cat with that age. You can tell by watching her that she still longs to hunt, which she used to be prolific at.
    One thing people who love this breed may not realize is that the island of Nicholski has a huge population of Maine Coons that have been there ever since the Russian fur traders set foxes loose on the island in the late 1700’s. Apparently, they were popular on the ships for their ability to kill the Norway rats that would also be on board.