16 Fall Cleaning Tips
Home Tips: Fall Chore Shortcuts
1. Clean painted woodwork with a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1 cup ammonia, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 gallon of lukewarm water. No rinsing is necessary with this solution.
2. Clean vinyl shower curtains without taking them down by wiping them with a sponge dampened with white vinegar.
3. Clean windows with a mixture of 1 part white vinegar and 10 parts warm water.
4. Plow or till the garden in the fall to expose both hibernating insects and weed seeds, which will then perish.
5. Dead leaves and needles on a shingled roof hold water and hasten the deterioration of the shingles. Sweep or hose them off in both spring and fall.
6. To maintain the wooden handles on your garden tools, occasionally apply boiled linseed oil with a cloth. Use just enough so the wood absorbs the oil.
7. Transfer boxed fertilizers or garden chemicals in your garden shed to plastic containers now, as their original cardboard packaging may deteriorate over the winter. Don’t forget to label the new containers.