16 Fall Cleaning Tips
8. For easy spring cleanup, try placing a sheet of nylon netting under the bird feeder in the fall, and anchor it with a few rocks. In northern areas snow will cover the netting most of the winter. In the spring just gather it up to clean up the husks.9. In some areas, it’s illegal to burn brush. If you’re not going to dispose of brush once it’s cut, leave it where it falls. If you gather it into a pile, it won’t rot as quickly.
10. Make time in the fall to sow new grass where there has been excessive wear or damage. There’s less danger of disease and weed competition in autumn than in spring, and with adequate water the new lawn will establish itself before winter.
11. Place a small stake or other marker where you plant new bulbs in the fall. This will be helpful in the spring, when your cleanup activities might otherwise disturb the area.
12. Give your washing machine an annual cleaning by filling it with hot water, adding a quart of white vinegar, and running the machine through the wash and rinse cycles.
13. To clean a dishwasher, place a bowl containing 2 cups of vinegar on the bottom rack, leaving all the racks in place (but emptied of dishes!). Run the dishwasher through the wash and rinse cycles only. The vinegar will splash about inside, cleaning the whole thing.
14. To get a quick shine on countertops, wipe them down with vinegar.
15. Get rid of musty odors in drawers, closets, or rooms by placing a small container of scented cat litter in the affected area. Refresh the litter every few days until the odor is gone.
16. When closing up a summer cottage, place shallow pans of cider vinegar under beds and in closets. This will keep rooms from smelling stale come spring.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.