Return to Content

Poison Ivy and Oak Treatment

Poison Ivy and Oak Treatment
48 votes, 3.46 avg. rating (69% score)

poison ivyPoison ivy and oak are members of a plant family that includes poison wood (an itch-causing plant found in Florida) and poison sumac, according to W. Hardy Eshbaugh, Ph.D., a retired botanist in Oxford, Ohio. “Some other members of the same plant family can cause a rash in some people,” Dr. Eshbaugh says. “The skin of a mango can be irritating to sensitive skin. And Chinese lacquerware boxes can cause a poison-ivy-like rash.” When the itchy rash sets in, you want to know how to treat poison ivy an oak fast. But it’s also important to understand the cause and how to prevent it.

“You can get the same kind of dermatitis from the shells of raw cashews,” notes Kathryn A. Zug, M.D., a dermatologist at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

The culprit in all these plants is a potent chemical called urushiol. Seven out of 10 people are allergic to it, you can get a rash from just one-billionth gram of the stuff, and it remains potent on garden tools and other surfaces for up to five years. No wonder urushiol is the champion of all allergens—the cause of more allergies than any other known substance.

You needn’t stay out of the fields and woods, though. Here are some remedies to help you cure poison ivy and oak.

Get the Poison Off Fast
“The best treatment for poison ivy or oak is to wash with soap in the shower within 5 to 15 minutes of exposure to the plant,” Dr. Zug says. In other words, you need to wash off
the urushiol long before you see a rash. This is possible, of course, only if you realize your mistake while you’re in the woods. Rubbing alcohol also might work. “Rubbing alcohol is a solvent that, in order to be effective, must be applied and washed off with a washcloth soon after contact with the plant,” Dr. Zug says.

Put Yourself in the Pink
“Calamine lotion is still one of the best treatments for moderate cases of poison ivy,” says Robert Averill, M.D., a dermatologist in western Massachusetts and northern New Hampshire.

“It’s the classic treatment for poison ivy,” Dr. Zug agrees. “Calamine dries up blisters, it is soothing and cooling, and it relieves the itch.”

Vinegar Works, Too
A vinegar compress is good for drying the rash and soothing the itching, says Robert Sommer, M.D., a dermatologist in Portland, Maine. “Use half a cup of white vinegar. Pour it into a pint container and add water up to the pint mark. Put it in the refrigerator; it works best cold.” Dampen a cloth or gauze with the cold vinegar solution and apply it to the rash, Dr. Sommer says.

Use Milk to Shake the Itch
Dr. Sommer also recommends a cold milk compress, especially if you have poison ivy on your face, which can be irritated by vinegar. “You take a clean rag and soak it in whole milk. You need whole milk for the fat,” he says. “Place the damp rag—damp, not runny—on the rash. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. The cold stops the itch, while the fat lubricates the skin.” Dr. Sommer says to rinse off the milk with
warm water.

Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.

Yankee Magazine Advertising

Bring New England Home
plus, get the Tablet Edition FREE!

In this issue: A Real New England Christmas

  • Vintage Decorating Tips
  • Mission to Maine's Islands
  • Norman Rockwell's Stockbridge
  • Bonus! Holiday Cookbook
Subscribe Today and Save 44%

12 Responses to Poison Ivy and Oak Treatment

  1. DarwinsMyth June 4, 2014 at 3:50 pm #

    I got a case of poison ivy over the weekend when I tried to out-muscle a weed out of the ground, and it won. I was itching later, and today, 3 days later, when I figured, poison ivy cream just wasn’t working well enough, I decided to wash (not dab) my forearms really good with white vinegar and a wash rag. It’s now been about 2 hours, and I still don’t have the urge to itch. I just have one bad spot where there’s oozing (and some rashes). It’s about an inch in diameter, and it’s not itching at all, now. The vinegar really works.

  2. Walter Palmer June 9, 2014 at 12:53 am #

    When I was younger in CT, I got poison ivy every year without fail. It seemed I could get it anytime, even in the middle of winter.
    After coming to Japan, I was surprised to learn that the cause of my rash (urushiol) is used as a lacquer here, and in fact the name “urushiol” comes from the Japanese word “urushi” for that lacquer (and the plant it comes from). I can even buy it in bottles from some craft stores here.
    Properly dried, urushi lacquer usually doesn’t cause rashes except to people very sensitive to it. The lacquer is used on all kinds of traditional eating utensils, so if it often caused rashes, there would be a lot of people with swollen lips and tongues.
    Someday when I’m back in CT and find some nice thick poison ivy vines, maybe I’ll try to drain the sap and make my own urushi lacquer. It would be an interesting experiment, even if my fingers swell up like sausages again.

  3. Linda Bender June 11, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

    Technu is the way to go. It is a wash but doesn’t need to be watered down. It dissolves the oil on contact. Even if you have a breakout. if you put it on the rash it dissolves the oil. Only thing I use and I have had some terrible outbreaks before I found this stuff. Any it has been proven that poison ivy oils can stay volatile for over 100 years….. keep that in mind with your garden tools.

  4. Paula K June 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

    Tecnu! Yes ! Love it as preventative, washup and dry up lotion. after the ice storm we got poison ivy off the downed tree limbs—did not notice the hairy vines at the time. The local pharmacist got a good laugh when we asked if they stocked Tecnu in the winter…they DID!

  5. Nathaniel Palmer July 6, 2014 at 1:57 pm #

    I got Poison Ivy so badly a few years ago that I was practically suicidal. I tried everything, and nothing worked, then I read online about Zanfel and tried it once, didn’t seem to work. Then read someone else who said you *had* to read the directions, which I did and tried it a second time, eliminated the entire rash (with many blisters) from everywhere infected (many concentrated on my arms). I now keep a tube in the house at all time, anytime I get any touch of it, it immediately resolves it. Doesn’t just relieve it, literally cures it. The rash and redness goes away and the blisters dry up into tiny scabs. You can get it in most stores or online (I buy it on Amazon). Google “Zanfel” and I promise it it will be the best decision you make if you have an active infection. Although if you’re exposed and don’t have a rash yet, don’t use the Zanfel, but instead use Dawn dishwashing soap (the original formula) which apparently encapsulates the urushiol and allows you to wash it away without it infecting you (it has to be Dawn or equivalent with degreasing capability, not just soap). Apparently the Zanfel works in a similar way, but actually extracts urushiol and allows you to wash it away, which is why you *must* follow the instructions for it to work. But it really does work! The only thing I have found which does with an active infection.

  6. Brittany Teracotta July 10, 2014 at 11:51 am #

    I seem to get poison ivy or poison oak every summer whether it be from gardening or getting it from my dog who loves to run through the brush in our backyard. A product called Domeboro that my mother has always used with us growing up really helps my desire to itch like crazy. It is a great way to soak the irritated skin or can be used as a compress/wet dressing to calm the skin irritation or rash. As someone with extremely sensitive skin it has come in handy throughout the years.

  7. Cathy July 22, 2014 at 4:24 pm #

    Hyland’s Poison Ivy tablets work very well in combination with some of the other treatments above.
    I’ve used yellow soap too. I can’t tell if it works better than other soaps or not.

  8. C Ann August 1, 2014 at 9:21 am #

    My son has an annual bout with poison ivy. I have not tried anything other than washing and calamine to help ease the rash, but as anyone who tends to get this knows, calamine only works for limited amount of time before needing reapplying.

    Three years back we tried Zanfel, it’s an expensive wash that comes in a very small tube, but it works.

  9. Teresa August 23, 2014 at 12:48 pm #

    Do have 3 grandsons broke out with it! Any home remedies will help me!!! Thank you!!

  10. Maggie September 1, 2014 at 7:34 pm #

    So my boyfriend is covered in poison ivy or zumac, we don’t know which. We don’t have white vinegar, I only have balsamic vinegar… lol does this make a difference? will it still work? he’s sitting at the table as we speak, smothered in smelly balsamic vinegar.

  11. Robert Heck September 3, 2014 at 3:49 pm #

    Thanks for the great suggestions!!!

  12. Gary Canavan October 7, 2014 at 9:41 am #

    The best treatment I have found that really works is the Jewel weed plant which grows in close proximity to poison ivy most of the time. just slice the stem open and scrape out and apply the sap to the rash . It works and it’s free

Leave a Reply

We reserve the right to remove or edit comments that are offensive or disrespectful to our readers and/or writers, cannot be verified, lack clarity, or contain profanity. Your comments may be republished by Yankee Magazine across multiple platforms.

Register Sign In

©2013, Yankee Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Yankee Publishing Inc., | P.O. Box 520, Dublin, NH 03444 | (603) 563-8111

reader-survey-2014-600x350