Get Rid of Musty Odors | Solutions Using Cat Litter, Newspapers & Charcoal
Do anything you can to dry out that musty basement or closet to get rid of musty odors: Open the doors and windows wide, take bureaus and drawers outside into the sun, leave a closet light on for a few days or place an electric fan on the floor for added circulation. Anything you can do to dry out the space is time well spent. A few precautions now will ward off everything from mildew to insect infestations. Here are some of the best ways to remove the smell of must and mildew.
Use Cat Litter to Get Rid of Musty Odors
- Get rid of musty odors in drawers, closets or rooms by placing a small container of scented cat litter in the affected area. Replace the litter every few days until the odor is gone.
- Relatively small items with musty odors should be placed in plastic bags with cat litter. Seal the bags tightly and with tape or clothespins and let them sit for a few days. Then dump out the litter and repeat if necessary.
- To get rid of an musty odor in upholstered furniture, spray a deodorant or sprinkle cat litter over the piece. Let it sit for a while, then vacuum. Repeat if necessary.
Use Newspapers to Get Rid of Musty Odors
- Rid books of musty odor by filling a large brown bag with crumpled newspaper, putting the books in the bag, and sealing it tight. Leave the books in the bag for a day or so, then repeat the treatment daily until the odor is gone.
- One way to rid a suitcase of musty odors is to fill it with crumpled newspaper, then close it up. Change the paper every 2 or 3 days until the odor is gone.
Use Charcoal Briquettes to Get Rid of Musty Odors
- To prevent musty odors from developing in a closed cottage, place pans of charcoal briquettes in several rooms. The charcoal will absorb moisture. You can burn the briquettes in your barbecue later.
- To reduce mustiness and moisture in closets, place a few charcoal briquettes in a shallow pan on the floor. Replace the charcoal every few months to keep the closet fresh.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.