2010 Fall Photo Contest Finalists

2010 Fall Photo Contest Finalists
by in Dec 2010

This year more than 1,000 photos were entered into our annual fall photo contest, which has made choosing a winner hard. Very hard. After much deliberation, our judges narrowed it down to five images. Each photo depicts a different side of the season, and all capture the magic of fall in New England.

We would like to congratulate our finalists and thank all who entered our contest.

Find out who won!

Slide Show Instructions:

• Hover over photo and click on arrow to advance the slideshow.
  • Click the “i” in the upper left corner of the photo for credit and location information.

In this issue: A Real New England Christmas

• Vintage Decorating Tips
  • Mission to Maine's Islands
  • Norman Rockwell's Stockbridge
  • Bonus! Holiday Cookbook

34 Responses to 2010 Fall Photo Contest Finalists

1. Amy Gustavson December 2, 2010 at 10:42 am #

This photo just pulls at the yearning in my soul to be standing on the balcony, taking that first deep breath of morning air and knowing the day, whatever it may bring, will be alright.

2. Rhonda Stewart December 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm #

This photo from Tahir Malik are very beautiful. This is a winning photo. Great Job!!!

3. Carol Fahey December 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

Tahir Malik took the photo and Mother Nature painted it! It is the winning photo.

4. Mimi Ghosh December 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

Tahir’s photo is absolutey awesome! I love it!

5. John Fahey December 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

The photo of Glen Ellis Falls is the best example of “smoothefied” water I have ever seen. It will be interesting to discover the exposure time, etc. of this photo. Very impressive. A great picture of the fall colors and unique view of a rushing waterfall.

6. Jeff Folger December 2, 2010 at 3:49 pm #

They are all great pictures but for a fall foliage shot I would have to vote (If I had a vote) for Tahir’s shot. The second with the fisheye was a great color perspective shot and the marsh shot is my number three. The other two while very good shots and show New England life in a great way but I want fall foliage in my fall foliage shots. IMHO…

7. Danica Hickey December 2, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

I love this photo by Tahir. It takes me back to hiking in the whites during fall. This photo truely captures how breathtaking nature really is. Great job.

8. terry marvine December 2, 2010 at 8:46 pm #

priyas photo is cool . luv the way its been taken . beautiful fall leaves hangin on the branches w/ the sun shinin through.i believe this is the only picture w/ fall foliage in the full frame. I nominate this as the best picture ever

9. Mary Durand December 3, 2010 at 9:05 am #

Amazing Photo!!! It looks like a beautiful painting, especially the swirling of the water. I definitely would love to go there!!!!

10. Susan Cole Kelly December 3, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

They’re all spectacular photos, although I would not have included the two that don’t show fall color. Can’t decide between Priya’s and Tahir’s – they’re both triple-WOWs! Tahir has captures the feeling of distance in his shot as well as the wonderful swirling water. Priya has made an image that makes me look twice – or more. And both of them are really gorgeous foliage pictures! Tough choice!

11. Denise Brown December 3, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

They are all amazing photographer’s. However if I were to chose I would go with priya’s photograph. Her picture captures the real essence of fall foliage in New England. Her picture highlights the uniqueness of fall in New England and reminds me of why fall is my best season.

12. eden denevan December 4, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

i love the photo by tahir malik, the water looks like a cloud. amazing!

13. Lisa Fitzgerald December 5, 2010 at 8:24 am #

The Glen Ellis Falls photo gets my vote…it captured the essence of fall in New Hampshire!

14. Phyllis Freedman December 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm #

A great picture. Great balance; all the elements of a fine fall day in NH country. I can almost hear the rushing waters. And the rocky banks are inviting an invigorating walk/climb by the water.

15. Betsy Delaney December 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm #

I love the mood of Robert Donofrio’s photo. The light quality suggests autumn. It could be any New England town on a river or a saltwater bay. I’ve lived in nearly every New England state so it reminds me of all the places I come from. I also love the timeless quality of the photo; it could be 1940 or 2010.

16. mary kane December 6, 2010 at 6:33 am #

The Stonington, ME picture makes me want to climb into the picture and be there. This photo captures Maine’s morning light like few that I have seen. The reflection in the windows and ocean of morning light enhance the sense of true serenity. Robert has captured a feeling a Fall in an unusual way without trees changing colors or pumpkins in a field and other images we associate with Fall. The lighting suggest a fall time of year.

17. Wayne England December 6, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

The Glen Ellis Falls makes me want to visit. Really beautiful. Great piocture.

18. Lucy Rand December 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm #

All of these photos exemplify the stunning, breath-taking beauty that is New England, but since I can choose only one, I have to go with Tahir Malik. It is absolutely awe-inspiring.

19. Christine Duquette December 6, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

They are all beautiful, but the Glen Ellis Falls picture took my breath away. Absolutely gorgeous.

20. Bobby Donofrio December 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm #

Stonington Maine, a place to share memories. Thank you

21. Clem Vilardo December 6, 2010 at 10:13 pm #

The calm sea of the Stonington Maine Morning Light photo has stunning color. Looks like an excellent place to gather your thoughts.

22. bhaswati bhattacharya December 7, 2010 at 9:27 am #

tahir’s photo is great…the best among the five.great job!

23. sarah crist December 7, 2010 at 4:09 pm #

I think the best photo of the bunch is from Tahir-it is quintessential new england fall.

24. susan killian December 8, 2010 at 12:14 am #

i absolutely love bob donofrio’s photo of stonington maine.very peaceful,gorgeous lighting and a place to sit and ponder one’s day.

25. Bill Bonato December 8, 2010 at 2:30 pm #

This photo by Tarik makes us want to stop and study for a bit. Note how the trees above seem to flow right into the river flanked by the bed of rocks. There is balance in this photo (which I assume came at the photographer’s expense as I don’t know how hard he worked to get into the position to accomplish the perfect symmetry) as well an unassuming, yet brilliant color of the nature. I have never been to New Hampshire, but this photo is just another feather in the state’s cap to dawn such beauty. Certainly this would look nice hanging on my living room wall behind the big couch.

26. dick r December 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

The Glen Ellis Falls scene is the type of foliage photo I’ve always tried to take, but never succeeded. Tahir Malik got it right.

27. Bruce Rossoll December 9, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Oh My Ghosh, what an engaging picture of Glen Ellis Falls. It’s a perfect marriage of the flowing stream and the sharp detail of fall foliage. Just Buku-tiful.

28. artie peshimam December 10, 2010 at 1:28 am #

My vote goes to Catherine’s photo. The composition with her photo is simply superior. The glen ellis falls shot has eye candy, but Catherine’s in my opinion shows true photographic talent. Nice job!

29. Kevin Donn December 10, 2010 at 11:39 am #

The Stonington Maine photo is the number one picture. The lighting, use of color, mood, and compostion all say fall. The photographer Robert Donofrio has captured the true essence of a fall morning . I do like the fact that his photo wasn’t the typical trees and leaves we associate with fall. The picture by Tarik Glen Ellis Falls is good but that shot has been all over the internet.The scene makes the shot, while Stonginton maine took a common group of objects and make a powerful pictorial statement. The use of the netueral density filter is over used in the Tarik photo. Plus it isn’t a natural look.

30. JOHN CARR December 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm #

I live in the state of R.I. ocean views are common and here for everyone to enjoy and we do, but the state of Maine has always been my calling and the picture of Stonington Maine is just “WOW”. The winning picture of Glen Ellis Falls in N.H. brings to mind the smell of pine, the sound of rushing and falling water, and the sound of screaming squirrels (because we don”t belong there). All of the pictures have…………” I’m so happy I live in New England ” in them.

31. Bobby Donofrio December 11, 2010 at 1:03 am #

Thank you for such wonderful comments. It an honor to know that my photo was selected as a finalist.

32. Susan Marchessault December 23, 2010 at 1:49 am #

It’s been years since I’ve been in that area, and that photo brings it all back. Great picture!

33. George Naldjieff Jr January 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Being a photographer myself, I thoroughly enjoyed two pictures – the one by Tahir Malik as well as the one by Bob Dinofrio. Both capture emotions which the view evokes, causing you to install yourself into the pic – i.e., smelling the pine trees in the distance or hearing the rushing water through the brook. Very nice use of technique by both artists.

34. Hazel Hunt June 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm #