Stowe, VT: Dogsledding, Sleighs
Tour Site and Reservation Office: Located at Umiak Outfitters on Route 100, 1 1/4 miles south of the Mountain Road.
Snowshoeing in Stowe
Stowe has a wide variety of terrain, so snowshoers can go at any pace. A great place to start is on the flat, 5.3-mile Recreation Path, which winds its way through forests and meadows, and crosses the West Branch River 11 times on arched wooden bridges.
Guests can get more out of their adventure by taking a snowshoe tour, available at the following centers: Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, Trapp Family Lodge, and Umiak Outfitters.
The Green Mountain Club, Vermont’s largest hiking organization, has compiled a list of nine favorite snowshoe hikes in the Stowe area. The list includes trail lengths, estimated hiking times, degrees of difficulty, locations of the trailheads, and descriptions of the trails. For maps, guidebooks, and information about snowshoe hikes, visitors can stop at the Green Mountain Club on Route 100.
Stowe’s Cross-Country Ski Centers
Stowe’s interconnected cross-country ski centers provide one of the largest, most diverse trail systems in the United States. More than 150km of groomed and 100km of back country trails crisscross Stowe’s landscape. Stowe has something for everyone, featuring perfectly groomed track, smooth wide skating lanes, and some of the finest untracked backcountry skiing anywhere. Don’t be surprised if someone in a U.S. ski team uniform glides past you while you are out having fun.
Area retailers have everything you need to enjoy wintertime activities for your visit to Stowe. From downhill skis, to snowboards, cross country skis, telemark equipment, snowshoes, boots, outdoor weather clothing and sleds, you’ll find it at one of the following locations:
- AJ’s Ski & Sports: alpine skis, snowboards, snowshoes, boots, outdoor weather clothing
- Boots ‘n Boards: alpine skis, snowboards, snowshoes, boots
- The Nordic Barn: alpine skis, cross-country skis, snowshoes, telemark skis and skates
- Pinnacle Ski & Sports: alpine skis, snowboards, snowshoes, boots
- Shaws General Store: sleds
- Stowe Mountain Resort: alpine skis, telemark skis, cross-country skis, snowshoes, snowboards, boots, helmets, and two-way radios
- Umiak Outfitters: snowshoes, telemark and backcountry skis, and out-of-the-ordinary sleds, like the Mad River Rocket, Hammerhead, and Airborne
Contact Information: 800-GO-STOWE; www.gostowe.com