You are here:Home>Rangeley Lakes Region Logging Museum
In 1979, Rodney Richard, along with a group of loggers, homemakers, and area residents, founded the Rangeley Lakes Region Logging Museum. Our efforts are to research, preserve and celebrate Western Maine's timber heritage and the Northern Maine forest. The Museum's collection now consists of hundreds of artifacts from regional logging operations, including two snubbing machines, sleds, an extensive collection of crosscut and chain saws, the White Brothers' forerunner of the skidder, and one of the last of the bateaux used on the Dead River drives. Our exhibits on traditional art by western Maine lumbermen include the fan towers and gumbooks of William Richard, the model drag drays and logging sleds of Carl Trafton, and the chain saw carvings of Rodney Richard and Rodney Richard Junior. And, we also own the nineteen oil paintings of Alden Grant, grandson of the founder of Grants' Kennebago Camps that document life in the region's lumbercamps from 1915 to 1928. In 1994, we published Logging in the Maine Woods: The Paintings of Alden Grant, an 80-page book with essays about Grant and life in the timberwoods, illustrated with a color photograph of each painting.