Best Ice Cream in New England

Best Ice Cream in New England
by

Travel and cookbook authors Jane and Michael Stern travel thousands of miles for their popular Web site, roadfood.com, so we asked them for their five favorite places to get scooped. Yankee‘s senior lifestyle editor, Amy Traverso, also chimed in with her pick for the best ice cream in New England.

Ice Cream ConeRidgefield Ice Cream Shop

The vintage soft-serve machines quite simply define chocolate and vanilla at their simple best.

680 Danbury Road, Ridgefield, CT; 203-438-3094

Gray’s Ice Cream

Gray’s must-haves are ginger and coffee. The former packs an eye-opening bite from bits of ginger root, while the latter is just-right sweet.

16 East Road, Tiverton Four Corners, Tiverton, RI. 401-624-4500; graysicecream.com

Christina’s Homemade Ice Cream

Ah, burnt-sugar ice cream. Seconds must include Mexican chocolate, khulfi, and banana-cinnamon.

1255 Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA. 617-492-7021; christinasicecream.com

Bishop’s Ice Cream

Check out “Bishop’s Bash”: chocolate chips, nuts, and brownie chunks in dark chocolate.

183 Cottage St., Littleton, NH; 603-444-6039; bishopshomemadeicecream.com

Hodgman’s Frozen Custard

Big on classics such as a sundae royale featuring hot fudge, sliced bananas, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry.

1108 Lewiston Road, New Gloucester, ME; 207-926-3553

Susanna’s Ice Cream

The secret is a rich custard base made with the finest ingredients. What makes Susanna’s ice cream extraordinary is the the hard work that goes into sourcing, prepping, and hand-mixing every ingredient to produce a base that’s both richer and lighter than you’ll fine elsewhere.
Read more about why Amy Traverso thinks Susanna’s Ice Cream is the best in New England.
Sweet Berry Farm, 915 Mitchell’s Lane, Middletown, RI; 401-847-3912;

Sign-up for Yankee Magazine's FREE enewsletter!

and get a free digital issue, plus 30% off in the Yankee Store

Your New England Minute
Yankee Recipe Box
Yankee Exclusive Offers
Great Yankee Giveaway
Yankee's Travel Exclusives Newsletter

12 Responses to Best Ice Cream in New England

1. Cathy Howe July 19, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Frank’s Bake Shop in Bangor has remarkable ice cream and wonderful flavors, all hand made in the shop. I recommend the ginger flavor. Try some when you are there!

2. Karen Farrington July 19, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Goose Rocks Dairy on Mills Road in Kennebunkport, ME has great homemade ice cream. Kid size cones are big enough to share!

3. Nicole Carlson July 19, 2012 at 8:46 am #

Rota Spring Farm in Sterling, MA has amazing homemade ice cream and you can sit and admire the herd of cows that helped produce it while you eat! The most unique flavor is Indian pudding. Definitely worth a stop, especially for anyone who is already planning a trip to Davis Farmland as it’s just a mile or two away.

4. Richard Ward July 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

Shaw’s Dairy in Dracut, Mass. has some great Rum Raisin ice cream

5. LNC July 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Well, I remember when Steve’s opened in Medford, and the ice cream revolution began. These new places sound very tasty. However, now I live in the UK and take frequent trips to Italy – I am afraid there is no comparison to the ice cream (or Gelato) there. What is missing is lemon slush – which seems to be a treat from the North End, but not in Italy itself!

SO I would cast a vote for some authentic Boston North End Slush, please!

6. Anthony July 19, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

What about Ferris Acres Creamery in Newtown, Conn. or Cape Cod Creamery in South Yarmouth, Mass.?

I’ve traveled all over New England and those top my list by far.

7. Sandi Tinyk July 21, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Can’t believe you omitted Somserset Creamery on Route 6 in Somerset, MA. Their signature flavor, Cranberry Bog, with sweetened berries, chunks of dark chocolate and walnut halves is the best! Mochachino, with chocolate covered espresso beans is a wonderful 2nd.

8. Sandi Tinyk July 21, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Oops! It’s Somerset Creamery, not Somserset!!

9. Debi Lionetti July 21, 2012 at 11:04 am #

Dr. Mike’s ice cream shops in Monroe and Bethel, CT have the smoothest, richest ice cream around. My family always enjoyed the “Chocolate Malt”, “Rich Chocolate” and “Chocolate Lace & Cream” flavors. Priceless!

10. Dennis Carey September 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

The best ice cream in New England I ever knew of personally was at ‘The Gran-Val Scoop’ at the Brown farm in Granville, Mass.

11. Barbara Dakin March 27, 2014 at 1:02 pm #

Dorman’s ice cream in Rockland Maine is the best. I have been going there since I was a child, since, at the time, my grandmother’s house was in walking distance. They were the first place I had ever tasted Peppermint Stick ice cream when I was a kid, and it became my favorite! Now I always get heir Ginger ice cream with bits of candied ginger in it. I’ve never found that any other place. They have been in business since 1950 or 1952 – can’t remember exactly, but they are an institution which I hope lasts forever!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Travel: Best Ways to Welcome Spring - April 2, 2012

[...] can all agree on. What’s not so easy is agreeing on where to get it. Check out our 2008 list of Top 5 Ice Cream Stands in New England and add your thoughts to the comments if we missed your [...]