Crafts | Make Decorative String Lights
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Winter is the perfect season for completing indoor home projects. If cabin fever is settling in for you, these string lights are a quick and easy project that can add charm and character to a room. There are two reasons I love this project– you can custom design the color or theme of these lights to fit any room or occasion, and added lights are a much needed mood lifter for this time of year.
What you need to make Decorative String Lights:
- A string of LED lights
- Clear plastic cups
- Decorative papers (scrapbook paper, recycled wrapping paper, plain colored paper)
Instructions to make Decorative String Lights:
- The first step is the most challenging because you need to create a template for a paper strip that will wrap around the cup. Cups are awkward shapes and difficult to make templates for, but once this step is completed the rest is a cinch.
- The best way to create a template is to start with a large smile-shaped strip of paper and continue to wrap the cup in it and trim as needed until the correct shape is established. This is a trial and error experiment—I repeated this step a couple times before I got the hang of it. When you find a template that fits the shape of your cup you can use it to trace onto other paper.
- Trace the template onto multiple strips of paper.
- Cut the templates from the paper.
- Wrap the cups in the paper strips—tape one end of the paper strip down, wrap the cup in the paper, and then secure with one more piece of tape.
- Use scissors to poke a hole in the top of the cup.
- Turn and rotate the scissors to create a larger hole (large enough for the lights to poke through).
- Use a piece of tape to secure the wire onto the cup to make sure the cup stays attached to the light.
- You can cover every light if you wish, or create a pattern of some covered lights and some plain lights. My string of lights had 100 lights on it, so I created a pattern using some covered lights, and some plain lights.
- Hang your lights.
You can create these lights at any time to go with a themed room or for special occasions and celebrations. I created my set of lights for a bedroom and I love how they look.