Patriotic Painted Utensils | 4th of July Craft
The 4th of July is just a couple days away, which means barbecues, parades and fireworks are on the horizon. If you are hosting or attending a barbecue this week, these painted utensils are easy to make and can accompany whatever food items you plan to serve or bring.
Materials to Make Patriotic Painted Utensils:
- Unfinished wooden spoons
- Red, white and blue acrylic paint
- Small paintbrush
- Food safe varnish
- Scotch tape
- Star shaped hole punch or tiny star stamp
Directions to Make Patriotic Painted Utensils:
- Paint the top 1/3 of one spoon handle all white; paint the top 1/3 of the other spoon handle all blue.
- Allow the paint to dry.
- Cut a small strip of scotch tape in half lengthwise. Wrap one strip of this tape around the white handled spoon. Repeat this step to create a pattern of stripes– a white painted stripe and then a scotch tape stripe. Make sure the tape is pressed down firmly.
- Paint red over the white stripes that are not covered with tape.
- When you have completed the above steps, carefully remove the scotch tape. Your handle should have red and white stripes now.
- Set the striped spoon aside to dry.
- For the other spoon– If you have a small star stamp, lightly brush white paint onto the stamp and then stamp stars onto the blue part of the handle.
- If you do not have a small star stamp you can try this trick: Cut a small square piece of scotch tape and punch a star out of the center using a star shaped hole punch.
- Press the tape onto the blue part of the handle and lightly paint white paint over the star shape. Remove tape. There should be a white star left behind. Repeat this step using a fresh piece of tape for each star.
- You can also “free-hand” the stars onto the handle if you have a steady hand.
- Allow the paint to dry.
- Once the paint has dried on both spoons go back and do any touch ups as needed.
- When the spoons are finished and dry, add a layer of varnish to the handles to cover the paint.
- Allow varnish to dry and add one more layer.
- Allow utensils to dry completely.
- Washing instructions– painted utensils must be hand washed only.
I made this fruit salad to go with the utensils– I used a small star shaped cookie cutter to make watermelon stars and then added organic strawberry slices and fresh picked blueberries from the back yard. I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.