Shabby Chic Paper Flag Garland
Shabby chic paper flag garlands are surprisingly easy and inexpensive to create and you can use them for parties and home decor (including glamping decor– wouldn’t these look sweet in a vintage camper?).
- 6 pieces of decorative scrapbook paper sized 12″x12″
- 9 feet of string ( I used embroidery string)
- Decorative or beaded ribbon. This is for embellishment along the bottom trim of the flags but you can also use paper doilies if you have them leftover from Valentines Day crafting.
- Hot glue gun and glue (if using beaded trim)
- Wax paper (optional)
- Cut each piece of 12″ x 12″ paper in half. The easiest way to get a quick measurement is to just fold the paper in half and cut along the fold.
- Fold each of those papers in half (but do not cut these ones!). These will be your flags.
- Cut decorative ribbon or trim into 6″ sections. You only need to cut as many strips as you need or want. I did not add trim to all of my flags.
- If you are using beaded trim you will need to take care to seal all places where you cut, otherwise the beads slip off. Apply a small amount of hot glue to the ends of the ribbon.
- Glue the trim to the bottom of one side of the flags. I laid my flags out on wax paper and then glued the trim to the bottom of one end of the flag.
- Tie loops at the end of your string– one loop on each end. This will allow you to hang the garland easily using push pins.
- Hang the string between 2 pushpins or tacks in a temporary space so you can finish the next step.
- Once the trim has dried you can arrange the flags on your string. Hang the flags on the folds of the paper (see photo). When you find an arrangement you like, simply glue the flags into place. Apply glue at the fold as well as all around the inner perimeter of the paper.
- Allow to dry.
Now your garland is ready to hang or it can be folded up and stored until you need it. They take up very little room for storage.
Please Note: This article was accurate at the time of publication. When planning a trip, please confirm details by directly contacting any company or establishment you intend to visit.