All Purpose Cornbread
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour , (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (5 1/2 ounces), see note
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (1 3/4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup frozen corn (3 1/2 ounces), thawed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled slightly
Instructions:Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 8-inch-square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl until combined; set aside.
2. In food processor or blender, process brown sugar, thawed corn kernels, and buttermilk until combined, about 5 seconds. Add eggs and process until well combined (corn lumps will remain), about 5 seconds longer.
3. Using rubber spatula, make well in center of dry ingredients; pour wet ingredients into well. Begin folding dry ingredients into wet, giving mixture only a few turns to barely combine; add melted butter and continue folding until dry ingredients are just moistened. Pour batter into prepared baking dish; smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until deep golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Cut into pieces and serve.