Apple and Sweet Potato Tempura with Asian Dipping Sauce
Total Time: 30
Yield: 4 to 6 appetizer servings
- 4 to 5 cups canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups seltzer
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon chile pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup scallions, mostly green parts and chopped fine
- 2 Gala, Fuji, or Cortland apples, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled (if desired) and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick disks
Instructions:Heat oil in a large heavy pot to 360° (about 10 to 15 minutes). Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk flour, salt, and seltzer together until smooth. Let batter stand until oil is heated.
To make the dipping sauce, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, sugar, sesame oil, lime juice, chile pepper flakes, and scallions. Set aside.
When oil is heated, dip pieces of apple and sweet potato in tempura batter and submerge in oil, four at a time, making sure pieces do not touch. Turn frequently with a slotted spoon until golden, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.