apple mulling spice mix
- Apple Mulling Spice Mix Recipe
- 3 boxes (1 ounce each) cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole nutmegs (1 ounce)
- 1/3 cup each chopped dried orange and lemon peel
- 1/4 cup each whole allspice and whole cloves
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped, crystallized ginger (1 ounce)
Cut doubled layers of cheesecloth into fourteen 5-inch squares. Have
fourteen 10-inch-long pieces plain white string ready. Put cinnamon sticks
and nutmegs in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin or a small heavy
skillet until broken in small pieces. Mix with remaining ingredients. Tie 3
generous tablespoonsful in each cheesecloth square. Makes 14 bags.
To mull wine, stir 1/2 cup water and 1/3 cup sugar in a 1-1/2 to 2-quart pan
over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add 3-1/4 cups wine and the spice
bag. Reduce heat to low, cover and heat very gently until mixture is very
hot but not boiling, about 20 minutes. Discard spice bag.
To mull cider, just add spice bag to 8 cups apple cider in a 2-1/2 to
3-quart pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 to 35
minutes. Discard spice bag.
Yield: Each spice bag holds enough to mull a 750 ml bottle of red wine -
about 3-1/4 cups - or a half gallon - 8 cups - apple cider.