Applesauce Spice Cake
Yield: 16 servings
Applesauce keeps this homey cake moist.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- vegetable cooking spray
- 1/4 cup safflower oil (or other lightly
- flavored vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (commercial or homemade)
- 1 medium apple, cored, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup raisins, plumped in hot water, then drained
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- For optional garnish:
- thin slices red and green apple
- cinnamon sticks
- honey-flavored yogurt
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray; dust with whole wheat flour, tapping out the excess. Set pan aside. Place the oil, molasses, and honey in a small saucepan; place over moderate heat until hot. Set aside to cool slightly.
Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg into a mixing bowl; add the oil mixture, applesauce, apple, egg, raisins, and wheat germ. Mix just until blended, no longer. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center (timing can vary; do not overbake). Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 16 squares. Serve garnished with thin slices of red and green apple, plus cinnamon sticks and/or honey-flavored yogurt.