Aroostook Potato And Broccoli Soup
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 cups broccoli florets and thinly sliced stems
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garnish: coarsely grated cheddar cheese
Instructions:Put potatoes in a 4- to 5-quart heavy-bottomed pot and cover with water. Set the pot on the stovetop over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes.
When done, drain potatoes. Mash half the potatoes; set aside both the mashed and chunks of potatoes.
Put the broccoli in the soup pot and add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer until broccoli is tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree the broccoli/broth mixture and the chunks of potatoes. Return the puree to the soup pot, set over medium heat, and stir in the mashed potatoes and milk; let warm for 2 minutes.
Stir in the cheddar, and when it's well blended, about 3 minutes, season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with additional grated cheddar.