Asparagus Hummus with Spiced Pita Chips
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 2 cups fresh asparagus pieces (fresh spears cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 15-1/2-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and well-rinsed
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
Instructions:Prepare an ice-water bath and set aside. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil. Add asparagus and return water to boil. Cook about 4 minutes, or until asparagus is cooked through and bright green. Drain asparagus and refresh in ice-water bath. After 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
In a food processor, combine chickpeas, garlic, and tahini; pur
Dukkah-Spiced Pita Chips
- 1 package pita bread
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
Instructions:Preheat oven to 375°. Separate each pita bread into two rounds. Brush cut sides with olive oil; then cut into small wedges. Place wedges on baking sheet. Set aside.
Heat a heavy, dry skillet on high setting; add pistachios and toast about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove nuts to a medium-size mixing bowl.
In the same skillet, toast sesame seeds about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add seeds to pistachios in bowl. Repeat toasting process with coriander, cumin, and fennel, adding to same bowl. Add peppercorns, dried mint, and salt.
Use a mortar and pestle to crush ingredients until they’re the size of small breadcrumbs (or pulse in a food processor to a dry, coarse consistency, but be careful not to overprocess).
Sprinkle dukkah spice mixture evenly over oiled pita wedges and toast pita in the oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes.