Asparagus with Penne
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 6 green onions, white and green portion, sliced diagonally
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound penne, boiled and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (or substitute slivered almonds)
Instructions:1. Boil, steam, or bake the asparagus until crisp-tender. Drain and transfer to absorbent paper. Pat the stalks dry and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch lengths.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet. Add the carrots and green onions and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the onions are limp. Add the remaining oil, the lemon juice, parsley, and basil. Add the penne and toss to coat with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter the asparagus and pine nuts over the mixture and toss to combine. Stir over low heat until warmed through, then serve.