Baked Alaska Pie
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked until golden brown and cooled
- 1 pint lime sherbet or pistachio ice cream, softened
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pint strawberry ice cream, softened
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
Instructions:Spoon alternate spoonsful of sherbet and ice creams into the pie shell; pack down firmly and level the top. Freeze until very hard.
Beat the egg whites until frothy, then add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form. Mound quickly on to the pie, spreading to seal all edges. Bake in a 425 degrees F oven 3 or 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately or freeze.
Want to gild the lily? When serving, dribble a little chocolate sauce over the pie, or garnish the top with crushed and sweetened fresh strawberries.