Yield: Serves 4
Baked beets is one of the easiest ways to prepare the root vegetable. Simply wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them whole as you would potatoes.
- 8 medium beets, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Wrap each beet in a square of aluminum foil and place directly on the oven rack. Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until tender when pierced. Peel the beets and cut them into quarters.
2. Melt the butter in a wide saucepan. Stir in the wine and chives. Add the beets and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper and heat until warmed through.