Banana-Stuffed French Toast with Blueberry Compote
Yield: Serves 6.
For a pleasant alternative to white bread, try honey whole wheat or raisin bran bread. -- Inn on the Sound, Falmouth, Massachusetts
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 24 slices white bread, crust removed
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- Blueberry Compote (recipe follows)
In a medium-size bowl, beat together the cream cheese, banana, and nutmeg. Spread 12 slices of bread with the cream cheese mixture, and sandwich with the remaining 12 slices.
In a blender, combine the eggs, half-and-half, and vanilla. Pour into a shallow dish. Dip the sandwiched bread into the egg batter and cook on a lightly greased griddle until brown on both sides. Serve immediately on warmed plates and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Accompany with Blueberry Compote.
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Blend the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch together in a medium-size saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened and serve warm.