Bean Sprouts and Romaine Salad
Yield: Serves 4
Thin strips of romaine tossed with crisp mung bean sprouts are coated with an Oriental dressing. Serve with grilled meat or deep-fried shrimp.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1/2 pound mung bean sprouts
- 16 large romaine leaves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil (dark)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 green onions, white and green portion, thinly sliced
Instructions:1. Bring a kettle of water to a boil. Rinse the bean sprouts and pick them over. Place in a large bowl. Pour in enough boiling water to cover the sprouts by 2 inches. Allow them to stand for exactly 1 minute. Immediately drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Scatter over a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Roll up the towel and place in the refrigerator.
2. Rinse the romaine and pat dry. Stack the leaves and slice thinly across to shred. Transfer to a salad bowl.
3. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, and sugar. Blend thoroughly. Add the bean sprouts and the onions to the romaine and toss to combine. Pour on the dressing and serve immediately.