Beef Stew and Potato Pie
Yield: 5-6 servings
- 2-crust batch of pie dough
- 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 2 medium onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 large potatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Instructions:1. Roll the pie dough into 2 flat pieces, place them on ungreased cookie sheet; brush with a little milk. Bake in 425 degrees F oven until brown. Or brown store-bought pie shells. Cut the crust in squares; set aside.
2. Cut beef into bite-size pieces and cook in a saucepan. Chop the onions and bay leaf (remove bay leaf after cooking), and pepper; add to the meat. Add just enough water to cover. Then let water cook down so meat will brown. When done, add enough water to make 3 cups liquid.
3. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan on top of the stove until done. Drain.
4. Place potatoes in the pot with meat. Thicken liquid with flour paste to make gravy. Heat until bubbly.
5. Spoon the stew into deep plates and serve with the piecrust squares, which could be crumbled over the top of each serving right before it is eaten.