Beet, Egg, and Herring Salad
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked, and diced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 tart apples, cored, and diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled, cooked, and diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 medium sour pickles, diced
- 3/4 cup diced pickled herring
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- lettuce or baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups cooked beets, peeled and diced
In a bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, apples, carrots, onion, pickles, herring, and pepper. Refrigerate. Just before serving, line a bowl with lettuce. Add the beets to the chilled ingredients and toss. Spoon the mixture over the lettuce.
How to Boil Beets
Select roots no larger than 2 inches in diameter and wash them thoroughly. Trim the leafy tops, leaving 1 to 2 inches of stem, but leave the root intact to reduce bleeding. Place the beets in a stain-resistant saucepan and add water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Drain, then rinse in cold water. Slice off the stems and root end, then peel off the skin. Work on paper towels or similar material; beet juice may stain wood cutting boards, porous surfaces, fabrics, and skin.