Beet Green Salad with Beets
Yield: Serves 4
An orange vinaigrette lightly coats the tender beet greens. Tiny cooked beets and chopped walnuts complete this simple but arresting salad.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 1 pound beet greens with tiny beets attached
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
Instructions:1. Cut the beets from the beet greens and drop them into a pot of boiling, salted water. Cook, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Immediately submerge the cooked beets in cold water.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange juice and mustard and stir to blend. Whisk in the oil, then stir in the shallot and parsley. When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove their skins and place the beets in the dressing. Toss to coat.
3. Pull the center ribs from the beet greens and discard. Rinse the leaves and pat them dry, then tear into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a large salad bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beets from the dressing and set to one side. Pour the dressing over the greens, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly. Place a portion of dressed greens on each of 4 salad plates. Divide the beets among the plates, arranging them on top of the leaves. Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts and serve.