Yield: Serves 4
If you have oversize beets, which tend to be woody, use them to make this delightful ruby red Beet Purée.
- 4 or 5 large beets, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg
1. Drop the beets into a large pot of boiling, salted water and cook, uncovered, until tender when pierced. Drain in a colander set under cold running water. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets and cut them into small chunks. Place the chunks in a blender or processor and whirl until smooth.
2. Melt the butter in a wide saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add the beet purée and stir over medium heat until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper and blend in the nutmeg. Mound in a serving dish and top with a generous dollop of butter.