Belgian Endive Soup
Yield: Serves 6
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium leeks, white portion only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 medium heads Belgian endive, sliced across into thin shreds
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup medium or whipping cream
- Chopped fresh chives for garnish
Instructions:1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the leeks and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the leeks are tender. Sprinkle on the flour and continue stirring over medium heat until the mixture foams. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the Belgian endive and thyme. Reduce the heat, cover, and cook at a gentle bubble for 10 minutes or until the endive is tender.
2. Pour into the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper and blend in the cream. Place over medium heat and warm gently. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with chopped fresh chives.