17 Responses to Best Ever Beef Roast

1. barbara tibbetts December 27, 2004 at 5:39 pm #

This method produced the most succulent, medium rare rib roast in our entire family history! No worries about timing at all. Left it in the oven 2 1/2 hours after first roasting. Will definitely make it again and again.

2. Donna Marchant March 5, 2005 at 10:41 pm #

I made this recipe for prime rib. It was exquisite!!! Meat was delicious and fork tender. My guests couldn’t leave it alone. We will make it again and again.

3. Anonymous February 11, 2006 at 1:56 pm #

I found this recipe in the Colorado Cache Cookbook years ago and it is the only way I will prepare and cook my roast.

4. Anonymous June 4, 2006 at 8:03 am #

I have tried this recipe several times and every time it has been a wonderful, tender, delicious success!

5. Laura Van Etten October 17, 2006 at 11:50 am #

Well I must have picked the wrong kind of beef roast — I chose top round — because this was awful. It was tough and overdone. It seems like the temperature is way too high.

• Tina O June 1, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Yes Laura, you did pick the wrong roast. It’s definitely best with a more marbled roast like a rib roast. I have my butcher cut and tie it for more flavor and easy slicing.
      Good Luck!

6. micha fugitt June 30, 2007 at 11:37 pm #

Yea…I would have to agree with Laura. This recipe is horrible. I saw it on quite a few websites but I was apprehensive because there were no comments. I had about a 3 pound roast and it came out dry, dry, dry. I can potentially see this working if you took out the final cooking and/or lowered the temperature. Otherwise…yuk.

7. Melissa J August 12, 2007 at 3:18 pm #

Usually we have time to make a beef roast in the crockpot, but with little time we tried this one out. LOVED IT! It was excellent.

8. James Watson April 27, 2008 at 1:01 pm #

I’m afraid Laura’s roast was dry because she used top round which is a pot roast cut — not for the oven.

9. Anonymous December 31, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

This was terrific. The only way we will cook a rib roast again.

10. Lisa Miller February 22, 2009 at 11:32 am #

To those who attempted the recipe with no luck: it works best with prime rib. Something very high quality and fatty (you have to have built in moisture so it doesn’t come out dry). Top round won’t cut it. Go for the bone-in rib eye roast and prepare to be amazed.

11. Anonymous May 10, 2009 at 6:29 pm #

You can use any cut of beef (pot roast) is best but use lower heat. 250 degrees for about 5 hours and your meat will fall apart. I season with flour and other spices and brown first on all sides to get that dark crust on it. Delicious!

12. C.M. Mason June 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

Part of this poor review is my own fault. The recipe says any size roast but the truth is, if you have a thinner slice of meat you can’t cook it without liquid. I used a 2″ thick, (4.5-5.5 pound) bone in shoulder roast. The meat was simply ruined. I do not want to discredit the recipe as it seems to have worked for others but my fault lied in using a recipe that does not clearly detail the meat size and dimensions. Thickness clearly has an affect on cook time. Another issue for me was the lack of noting if the roast should be covered. It did not say to cover it so I did not. I am thinking I would have had better results in a covered pan.

13. Edwin Jacobs December 13, 2010 at 9:54 pm #

Cooked a four pound Rump Roast exactly according to the recipe. Unfortunately it came out medium to medium well. Flavor was good but too overcooked. Sorry as it sounded so good and maybe too easy.

14. Jan November 27, 2013 at 3:12 pm #

Has anyone tried this with a beef tenderloin?

15. Tom LeBlanc January 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm #

Test try…..

16. Matt April 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

I’m not following this exactly (you can’t really…..says do not open the oven ever but also does not specify cut or thickness). I live in Colombia so even with decent soanish, translations aren’t exact. I look at what I want and ask what part of the cow it is. Anyone have any experience with keg of beef/cow (not lamb!)