Blackberry Cobbler from Barrington Inn
Yield: Serves 6-8
- 1 quart fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup self-rising flour (substitution: 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and a dash of salt)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine berries, water, and 1/2 to 1 cup sugar, depending upon desired sweetness. Cook until mixture is hot and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Melt butter in a 2-quart baking pan. Combine 1 cup sugar and the flour in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the milk. Add cinnamon. Pour batter over melted butter in the pan, do not stir. Spoon berries over the batter, but do not stir; batter will rise to the top to form a crust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.