Bonnie's Red And White Pizza
- Bonnie's Red And White Pizza
- 6 Phyllo sheets
- 1/4 Cup Butter; melted
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese; freshly grated
- 6 Tomatoes, sun dried; packed in oil
- 1 Red pepper; roasted *
- 1/2 Cup Asiago cheese; grated
- 1/2 Cup Mushrooms; sliced
Instructions:This recipe won in the Appetizer section of the Toronto Star's Canada's Cooking contest for Canada's 125th birthday (1992)
The maple leaf shape is pretty but not necessary (can use a rectangle).
Frozen phyllo dough can be found in most supermarkets.
Sun dried tomatoes and bottled roasted red peppers can be found in Little Italy, some supermarkets and most specialty food shops.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Draw maple leaf on 12 inch square piece of paper; cut it out.
On lightly buttered baking sheet, place one sheet of phyllo dough. brush on melted butter; sprinkle lightly with Parmesan.
Repeat until all 6 layers have been used.
Place leaf cut-out on prepared dough; trace out shape with sharp knife.
(Remaining dough may be pressed into mini muffin tins and topped with various pizza toppings.)
Sprinkle asiago cheese over dough; arrange vegetables on top.
Bake on lowest rack of oven 15 minutes or until pizza is golden brown. may be served right away or reheated prior to serving.
* To roast pepper, place on baking sheet; broil about 15 minutes or until blackened all over; turning frequently. cool; peel & seed.
MAKES: 6-8 appetizer servings