Bread and Butter Pickles
Yield: Yield: 5 to 6 quarts.
An excellent and simple pickle to make, and only one of the many Kate "puts up" each year.
- 6 quarts thinly sliced, well-scrubbed, unpeeled cucumbers
- 1 quart thinly sliced small onions
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups pure cider vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Combine sliced cucumbers and onions in a large shallow pan. Sprinkle pickling salt over all and mix in with your hands. Cover with ice and let sit for 3 hours or more. Drain. Rinse in cold water. Drain again thoroughly.
Make a brine of vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and bring to a boil again for 3 to 4 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.