Bread and Butter Pickles
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
An excellent and simple pickle to make, and only one of the many Kate "puts up" each year.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 6 quarts thinly sliced, well-scrubbed, unpeeled cucumbers
- 1 quart thinly sliced small onions
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 3 cups pure cider vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Combine sliced cucumbers and onions in a large shallow pan. Sprinkle pickling salt over all and mix in with your hands. Cover with ice and let sit for 3 hours or more. Drain. Rinse in cold water. Drain again thoroughly.
Make a brine of vinegar, sugar, and spices and bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and bring to a boil again for 3 to 4 minutes. Pack in hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.