Homemade Broccoli-Cheese Soup
Yield: Serves 4-6
This delicious recipe for Homemade Broccoli-Cheese Soup is so adaptable that if broccoli isn’t available, you can substitute cauliflower instead.
- 1 large bunch broccoli, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- Salt and pepper (optional)
Boil or steam broccoli until tender. As broccoli cooks, melt butter in soup kettle. Sauté shallots and garlic until tender. Sprinkle with flour and stir over low heat until blended. Add stock and continue stirring until mixture is smooth. Add cheese and stir until melted and smooth. Add broccoli and olives and heat slowly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.