Broiled Eggplant Slices
Yield: Serves 4
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled or unpeeled
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
Instructions:1. Slice the eggplant into1/2-inch-thick rounds. Generously brush both sides of each slice with oil. Place on a flat baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slide under the broiler and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once, until the eggplant is tender and lightly browned.
2. Top each slice of eggplant with a tomato slice and sprinkle with fresh basil. Scatter the mozzarella cheese over the tomato and return to the broiler to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.