Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- The Good News These wheat-free, butterless brownies are decadent and dense. "It's really, really hard to make a good vegan brownie," says McKenna. Her first efforts using applesauce and vegetable oil were cakey or fluffy. It took her six months of making small adjustments to perfect them.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill gluten-free, all-purpose baking flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325°. Spray 2 mini muffin pans with vegetable oil spray. In a bowl, whisk the baking flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. In another bowl, whisk the applesauce, oil and vanilla; stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spoon the batter into the muffin pans, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until set. Let the brownies cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
NOTES One Brownie 69 cal, 4 gm fat, 0.8 gm sat fat, 10 gm carb, 0.8 gm fiber.