Yield: Serves 4
Bruschetta -- slices of grilled garlic toast may be served as an appetizer or paired with slices of fresh tomato and fresh mozzarella and offered for lunch. Since the flavor of the olive oil is such an important element of this preparation, use good-quality extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 4 slices Italian bread, cut 1 inch thick from a large round loaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small saucepan, combine the oil and garlic and set over low heat. Cook slowly until the garlic is tender and golden. Do not allow it to brown. The object is to warm the oil gently and heat the garlic to encourage It to release its flavor.
2. Arrange the slices of bread on a hot grill and cook until both sides are toasted. Transfer to a serving plate.
3. Remove the garlic from the oil with a slotted spoon and discard. Generously brush the surface of each slice of toast with warm olive oil. Sprinkle wIth salt and pepper and serve immediately.