Butter-Braised Cabbage with Fennel and Red Peppers
Yankee Plus Dec 2015
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Narrow strips of red bell pepper contribute color and flavor to lightly braised green cabbage. Serve with grilled bratwurst or veal sausage.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium-size green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into narrow strips
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Instructions:1. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the fennel seed and stir over medium heat for 1 minute or until toasted. Add the onion, tossing to coat, then stir in the cabbage. Pour on the wine. Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the red bell pepper strips and season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cabbage is crisp-tender. Increase the heat and cook, stirring, until all the liquid is evaporated. Transfer to a serving dish.