Butter Lettuce Salad With Cherries & Goat Cheese
Total Time: 25 minutes
Hands On Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
In our view, the best salads combine fresh greens with a mix of flavors and textures: sweet, creamy, nutty, salty. It's always a formula for success, and this salad hits every delicious note. Plus, it's absolutely beautiful.
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
For the vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
Instructions:Make the dressing: In a bowl, combine the mustard, shallot, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir in the red-wine vinegar and tarragon. Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking continuously to emulsify; set aside.
For the salad:
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 4 radishes
- 1 head butter lettuce (also known as Boston or Bibb)
- 8 small slices prosciutto
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (chevre), crumbled
- 24 cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
Instructions:Make the salad: Add the almonds to a frying pan over medium-low heat and cook until golden in color, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool; set aside. Using a sharp knife or, preferably, a mandoline, slice the fennel bulb and radishes very thinly. Set aside.
Take four deep soup bowls and start by making a bed of lettuce in each. Add the fennel and radish slices. Add two slices of prosciutto to each, and the crumbled goat cheese. Add the cherries and drizzle with the dressing, to taste. Top with chopped almonds and chives. Toss gently and serve.