Total Time: 10
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons kosher or sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 2 pounds cleaned squid, tubes cut into 1/4-inch rings, tentacles coarsely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 3-4 large cloves)
- 1/4 cup firmly packed minced fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful black olives, pitted, roughly chopped (optional)
- Salad greens and/or tomatoes
Instructions:In a large saucepan, bring 1 gallon water and 2 tablespoons salt to a rolling boil. Have a colander ready in the sink.
Add squid to boiling water and cook, stirring continuously, just until it turns opaque, about 1 minute (overcooked squid turns tough). Drain immediately.
In a large, nonreactive bowl, whisk remaining ingredients together. Add squid and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. (Salad will keep 2-3 days.)
Serve squid on a pile of salad greens or sliced tomatoes.