Captain Billy's Breakfast Strata
TABLE OF CONTENTS
"This sausage-egg strata was first served to us by a Navy friend (presently a captain and still on active duty) at a Sunday brunch during an Army-Navy football weekend (Navy won). We have modified the recipe somewhat, substituting potatoes for bread and using low-fat sausage, and have been serving it at the Graycote since we took over in 1992." Graycote inn, Bar Harbor, Maine
Login to add to your Recipe Box
Upload Your Photo
- 5 to 6 medium-sized potatoes, peeled, boiled, and chopped
- 1 cup flavored croutons
- 1/4 cup dried chopped onion
- 2 cups grated hard cheese (or combination of cheddar, Monterey Jack, and provolone)
- 1 pound low-fat turkey sausage, fully cooked, either sliced or crumbled (any kind of sausage will do)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half or milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup crushed cornflakes cereal
Layer the potato, croutons, onion, half of the cheese, sausage, and remaining cheese in a 13x9-inch baking dish coated with no-stick cooking spray.
Beat the eggs, half-and-half or milk, salt, and cayenne together and pour over the layered ingredients. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Remove the dish from the refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Sprinkle cornflakes over the top and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until set (may have to cover with aluminum foil last 15 to 20 minutes).
Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.